C’mon, you didn’t really think I meant this guy did you? 🙂
Commit – Collaborate – Communicate – Perform – Organize
Last week I wrote about the value of Values in our organization. I told you how thrilled I am to be working with a team of people who embrace our values and hold themselves and one another accountable to them. This week I thought I’d share the content of an email that I sent to the team several weeks ago. I was heading out of town for a couple of weeks and wanted to leave everyone with something to be thinking about. By giving you a peek inside you’ll see how we approach things plus you’ll see how our values are intertwined in everything we say and do.
Where did the C3PO reference come from? Nowhere in particular. Star Wars has nothing to do with this but I was looking for a hook to get people’s attention and to make it memorable. Shameless, I know.
From the email:
- Commit to it. Keep your promises. There is almost nothing more important than honoring the commitments you and we have made. Once you commit to a due date for anything make it happen. Others are depending on you to keep your word and honor your commitments. I can’t emphasize this enough.
- Collaborate broadly – Bring in other stakeholders early and get their insights. Be open to giving and receiving constructive criticism / advice. The idea is to make us better by getting the perspective of others DURING the process not at the end. This helps us make better magic and ensures that we stay on track to meet our Commitments. Embrace working in a team environment.
- Communicate continuously – Keep everyone informed and don’t hesitate to repeat yourself. I’d rather see you over-communicate than under-communicate. Write emails that are succinct and easily digested by the reader. Pick up the phone and call when email is becoming ineffective. Say more with less.
- Perform consistently & passionately – Don’t “try” to do anything, just do it. Get Stuff Done (GSD) and execute. Performing at a high level is all about attitude, passion, and commitment (there’s that word again…).
- Organize early – Get organized and stay organized. If your workspace is disheveled guess what kind of results will likely come? Think things through well in advance. Organize your thoughts and your to-do’s. Remove the clutter from both your mind and your physical space and stay organized.
Hopefully you noticed some recurring themes that are found in our Values. Concepts like encouraging “vigorous debate because it makes us better” and the “virtue of teamwork” are easy to pick you. Perhaps you noticed others?
As always we’d love to hear from you. If you’d like to know more about anything we do or how we approach things just use our Contact form and we’ll get right back to you.
Walt Geer / CEO